Student Organization Advisor Agreement
SGSO advisors and SGSO officers must sign an agreement with the following language, to be included with the organization’s application for university registration. The actual SGSO Advisor Agreement Form is available in beINvolved and as part of the beINvolved registration and re-registration process:
Indiana University requires that every registered self-governed student organization have a faculty or staff Advisor who is employed at IU Bloomington in an appointed position. Temporary/Part-time employees cannot serve as Advisors. Also, undergraduate and graduate students, external individuals, alumni, or individuals working with an entity affiliated with IU Bloomington do not qualify to serve as the required faculty or staff Advisor.
The signatures on this form verify that (name of Advisor) has agreed to serve as the Advisor of (full name of student organization as listed on beINvolved) for the 2019-2020 academic year. The signatures also verify that both parties have reviewed the information below regarding the role of the student organization Advisor and the role of the student organization and that both parties accept the responsibilities described.
The duties of an Advisor include:
- Serving as the student organization’s Campus Security Authority.
- Maintaining regular contact with the student organization.
- Assisting the student organization in abiding by all IU and Student Involvement and Leadership Center policies and procedures.
- Helping the student organization locate and utilize available resources.
- Being familiar with the goals and activities of the student organization.
- Providing support and guidance as needed, while recognizing that the control and operation of the SGSO remain with the students.
The duties of the Self-Governed Student Organization (SGSO) include:
- Abiding by all Indiana University and Student Involvement and Leadership Center policies and procedures and seeking out counsel when there is a question about the student organization’s events, programs, or activities.
- Consulting with the Advisor as necessary, while recognizing that the control and operation of the SGSO remain with the students.
- Updating the Advisor regarding organizational activities.
- Inviting the Advisor to organizational functions.
The student organization Advisor and SGSO officers may also agree upon specific duties and expectations that are not included as a part of the Student Organization Advisor Agreement.