Student Advocates are retired IU faculty and staff who volunteer their time to helping students resolve personal and academic problems.
As a Student Advocate, you will help students navigate the many complexities of Indiana University, which you know very well. You will join a team of more than 20 volunteer advocates, one full-time director, and three full-time professional staff.
One-on-one, you will support students’ learning and development by fostering:
- Effective written and verbal communication with faculty and administrators
- Realistic expectations and outcomes
- A clear sense of personal responsibility and values
- Respect for others and the university community
- Assertive, independent decision making about personal and educational goals
- Healthy choices
- Full use of student service resources to promote academic success
- A collaborative approach to solving problems and addressing challenges