At Indiana University, your parent or guardian may be notified about your involvement in an incident involving alcohol or a controlled substance if:
- You have been found responsible for violating the university’s alcohol or drug policy.
- You are under 21 years old at the time of the notification.
In addition to those criteria, at least one of the following criteria must be met before your parent or guardian is notified:
- You received a sanction of probation or stronger through the campus judicial system because of the serious nature of the incident and not because of prior alcohol or drug violations.
- You had been found responsible for committing a violation of IU’s alcohol or drug policy in the past.
- The incident involved significant property damage.
- Medical attention to any person, including yourself, was required as a result of the alcohol- or drug-related behavior.
- You operated a motor vehicle while intoxicated or under the influence of a drug.
- The student exhibited reckless disregard for personal safety and/or the safety of others while intoxicated or under the influence of a drug.
- Evidence indicates that your alcohol- or drug-related behavior interfered with your or another person’s academic process.