veteran and flags

Below is a collection of services and resources frequently used by student veterans. If you are looking for something that is not on the list, please let us know. We will help you find it.

Other IU Veterans Offices

IU campuses located throughout the state of Indiana provide support services to veterans.

  • IU East

    Tim Fienning, Financial Aid Counselor for Veterans
    Phone: (765) 973-8449

  • IU Fort Wayne

    June Watts, Military Student Services Administrator and School Certifying Official
    Kettler 104-B          

  • IUPUI Indianapolis

    Office for Veterans & Military Personnel
    Admissions Center (2nd Floor)
    Phone: (317) 268-9163

  • IU Kokomo

    Brenda DeMaggio, Veteran Representative
    Phone: 765-455-9216

  • IU Northwest

    Levonda Moseley, Office of the Registrar: Veterans Support Services
    Hawthorn Hall 109
    Phone: (219) 980-6940

  • IU South Bend

    Office of Veteran Student Services
    Education and Arts Building Room 2101
    Phone: (574) 520-4115
    Fax: (574) 520-4868

    Contact the Veteran’s Student Services office at (574) 520 - 4115 or Savanna Hebert-Annis at (574) 520-4651  for an appointment.

  • IU Southeast

    Jack J. Howell - VA Certifying Official, Veteran Services
    University Center South 107
    Phone: (812) 941-2535
    Fax: (812) 941-2351

    Office Hours:
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday:  8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, (Closed for lunch from 12:00 to 1:00)
    Thursday:  8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (Closed for lunch from 1:00 to 2:00)

Healthcare Services

Your status as a student has no impact on your eligibility for Veterans Affairs medical care. Any OEF/OIF veteran is eligible for healthcare benefits for five years after returning from deployment. Visit the Veterans Affairs Web site for information on how to access your benefits.

Signing up for VA Healthcare satisfies the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Details at:

Indiana University Health Center

The IU Health Center is available to all students and their family members.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides counseling services and group workshops specifically for veterans coping with mental trauma stemming from their service.

School of Education, Center for Human Growth

The Center for Human Growth provides counseling services for individuals, couples, families, and groups.

Bloomington VA Outpatient Clinic

The Bloomington VA Outpatient Clinic is a sister facility to the Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center in Indianapolis. Located on Bloomington’s west side, the clinic provides primary care,mental health, prescription, and other services to veterans in the Bloomington area.

To find additional VA resources related to medical care, mental health, and substance abuse go to:

Disability and Rehabilitation

Disability Services for Students

If you are disabled, Disability Services for Students can assist you in many ways, by providing transportation and adaptive equipment to make attending classes easier. Contact this office to sign up for special services.

Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program

The VetSuccess program helps veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for and enter the workforce.

Student Health Insurance

Through Aetna Health Care, the university offers comprehensive health plans to students.

Support Services and Resources

Students in Transition

Students in Transition connects returning adult students with the resources they need to be successful.

Student Legal Services

This on-campus Student Legal Services advises students on legal issues.


We provide FREE math tutoring in our Veterans Lounge. Any military-connected students enrolled in an IU math course – algebra through calculus – are invited to take advantage of our tutor’s expertise. Please contact CVMS for details.

Bloomington Community Resources

The Monroe County Veterans Service Officer, Mary Elftman, has an office downtown and can provide information on Veterans Affairs benefits beyond education.

Common Access Card (CAC) Reader

The VSS office and the Army ROTC unit at Smith Research Center have CAC Readers, allowing you to use your credentials to access military networks on campus.