Military Withdrawal & Leave of Absence

vets who served in Afghanistan

Military Withdrawal

Upon notification of an upcoming deployment or extended military duty, contact Center for Veteran and Miliary Students (CVMS) immediately. If you need to withdraw from classes, bring a copy of your orders or a memo from your unit to CVMS to complete a military withdrawal from some or all courses. Click here to view the official university policy regarding students that are called to active duty.

If you notify CVMS that you are withdrawing due to military orders, or if we process a military withdrawal on your behalf, we will notify the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as soon as possible to reduce or terminate your educational benefits to avoid overpayment. However, depending on your exact circumstances (time of the semester, full or partial withdrawal, etc.) we’ll discuss the impact and possible options with you. There are a wide variety of policies concerning different kinds of financial assistance (VA, state, federal, etc.). We will do our best to help you navigate it all.

Taking Courses While Deployed

Some students elect to take courses while deployed. Please check with your academic advisor in advance to determine whether your degree program will accept independent study or online courses.

Your options for completing any remaining coursework vary greatly depending on your individual situation, timing, and remaining requirements. Your first step should always be to discuss your situation with your faculty instructor. Then visit CVMS for further assistance. Some students are able to negotiate the completion of all course requirements with their instructors, despite their absence. Others may be offered incompletes that must be finished within one calendar year of the end of the term of enrollment. In other cases, it may be in your best interest to withdraw from the course.

Return from Military Duty

Procedures for reinstating your student status will vary depending on your academic school and program. The College of Arts and Sciences requires that returning students complete a status update form, and University Division students should complete a returning student form. Students from other academic units should contact their recorder’s office or Veterans Support Services for assistance with reinstatement. Once processed, these forms will allow your school to reactivate your ability to register for classes via Once you are registered for classes, contact us to request your enrollment be reported to Veterans Affairs for benefits.

You will need to forward a copy of any new DD 214 discharge documents to the VA for evaluation. This may change which program you are eligible for, or your tier of benefits. We can assist you with this process.