Getting Started

In order to receive your benefits, you must contact our office. We will collect information based on your service so we can report your enrollment to the US Department of Veterans Affairs. On-campus students should complete this process in person; distance education students may contact us at  or call us at 812-856-1985 for more options.

formerly stationed map

Following the steps below will ensure that you get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.


1. Apply for Admission to Indiana University

Applying to Indiana University is the first step. The Office of Admissions provides information on how you can apply today. Your personal academic background and goals will determine which office best meets your interest. Contact us if you need help making this decision.

2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a form that determines your eligibility for low- or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. Completing this form will ensure you receive the maximum financial aid, even if you plan on using veterans education benefits. The most potential aid is given to students who complete the form before March 1, Indiana University's priority submission date. Visit the FAFSA Web site to fill out and submit the application.

3. Submit Military Transcripts or DD214

Your military training may equate to academic credit at Indiana University. If you are using VA Education Benefits you are required to provide copies of your military transcripts and your DD214 discharge documents to the IU Office of Admissions. Use the following resources to request your military transcript:

4. Apply for Campus Housing

If you would like to live on campus, it’s best to apply for student housing with Residential Programs and Services as early as possible. Veterans or reserve component service members who have deployed but do not meet the standard on-campus housing exception rules can request a special exemption based on military service experience.

Exemptions are considered on a case-by-case basis only—there is no standard military exemption for the first year student housing requirement and the exemption request must be submitted online. There are other housing options for students in Bloomington, such as a house or apartment.

5. Attend New Student Orientation

By attending new student orientation, you can learn about student organizations and popular activities around campus. You will also have the opportunity to meet with your academic advisor who will help you plan your first semester and academic career.

If you are unable to attend orientation sessions due to military commitments, inform the Office of First Year Experience Program in a reply to your orientation invitation. Veteran Support Services will work with them to meet your needs and if there are scheduling problems please contact us.

6. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits
GI Bill®

Visit the official GI Bill® Web site to learn about the federal benefits available. Then, visit to go through a step-by-step process to get an idea of what benefits are best for you. Feel free to contact us and we can guide you through the process.

Indiana Benefits

If you are the child of an Indiana veteran with any level disability rating, you may be eligible for the Indiana Remission of Fees for the Child of a Disabled Veteran.

Indiana also offers a fee remission for Indiana veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart.

Applications for both of these programs are available through the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs.

After the application form is approved by the Indiana DVA, it should be forwarded to:

Indiana University
Office of Student Financial Assistance
Student Central
408 N. Union Street
Bloomington, IN 47405.

7. Visit the Center for Veteran and Military Students

Most importantly, you must visit the Center for Veteran and Military Students to complete registration in-processing for using your VA education benefits at IU.

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at