Financial Assistance

Your finances are an important piece to the college experience. As a veteran, there are many factors that can affect the cost of your education and your eligibility for certain award programs. Here, you will be able to understand what these factors are and how they affect you.

Changes in Financial Status

If your income level has significantly changed when compared to the tax year information you reported on your FAFSA due to separation from the military or other factors, complete an appeal form with the Financial Aid Office to be considered for an increase in financial assistance.

The staff at Student Central on Union can help you bridge the gap between the cost of your education and your resources.

Special Programs

Federal Military Tuition Assistance

Federal Military Tuition Assistance is handled through the Office of the Bursar, located in the Poplars Building, 400 East 7th Street . You must provide their office a copy of your approved tuition assistance authorization for your TA award to be credited to your account.

Indiana National Guard Supplement Grant

The Indiana National Guard Supplement Grant is packaged with your financial aid. You must have a current FAFSA on file and submit an application to the Indiana National Guard each semester you wish to use the NGSG. Please contact Student Central on Union if you have questions.

Fry Scholar Supplemental Grant

The Fry Scholar Supplemental Grant provides additional funding for Fry Scholars. These students are the children of military members who were killed in the line of duty. There is no separate application and the award will be processed by VSS at the time you submit your request for enrollment certification as a Fry Scholar.

Veteran Family Support Grant

The grant process is currently under review and applications will be available as soon as possible. Please revisit this page for updates.

The Veteran Family Support Grant provides up to $2,000 annually to military and veteran students enrolled full-time who are supporting children under the age of 18. The grant is awarded on a first come basis while funds remain.

You must provide proof of veteran or military status if not currently on VA education benefits as well as proof of age and relationship of the child. Students must be admitted prior to applying for the benefit and provide supporting documentation before the beginning of the first term in which they receive the benefit. Contact us for more information.

For additional financial assistance options, visit VA Benefits.

Tillman Military Scholarship

IU is a partner school with the Pat Tillman Foundation. Applications for this benefit typically open in early February and are due in early March for the following academic year. Click here for more information.

LaVerne Noyes Award

If you are a direct descendent of an American veteran of World War I and have demonstrated financial need, you may be eligible for the LaVerne Noyes Award.

For more information, visit Student Central.