Fraternity & Sorority Life
Checklisting was originally approved by the Board of Trustees in 1937 to assist housed fraternity/sorority chapters in collecting unpaid balances for room and board. This procedure prevents students from registering for classes, receiving their diploma, and requesting copies of their transcript. The student remains checklisted until the entire balance due is paid, even after graduation.
Process and Policies
Checklist Processing Timeline
- Checklisting may occur one time per student per semester; it is not a monthly accounting service. Therefore, checklist additions will be honored beginning in October for the fall semester and March for the spring semester.
- Checklist updates, temporary releases, and removals will be processed as they are received.
- The checklisted student will receive an email notice at the time the checklist request is submitted.
Authorized Checklist Requests
- Room and board charges under an approved written contract.
- Damages incurred by a student may be checklisted if the damages are itemized by the student’s individual room and share of common spaces.
Non-authorized Checklist Requests
- Room and board charges incurred by a student living in the chapter house but not enrolled at IU.
- Chapter national and local dues, fees, social fees, fines, favors, etc.
- Housing contract breakage fees.
Authorized Chapter Representative Responsibilities
- Certification that the named member is/no longer indebted for room and board charges to the named organization.
- All checklist balance due amounts must be from the current academic year and not retroactive to include prior years.
Temporary Checklist Releases
- The authorized chapter representative may request a temporary checklist release to allow a student to register for classes.
- The institution may request a temporary checklist release to allow the student to register for classes when the student is in dispute with the authorized representative over charges.
- Temporary checklist releases will last for a two-week period unless otherwise noted.
Resolving a Housing Checklist
If you have been checklisted by your organization, please contact your authorized chapter accounting representative listed on the checklist form. They will provide you with information about how to settle your account and contact the university to remove you from the checklist.
If you still have questions after contacting your authorized chapter accounting representative, please contact the Student Life and Learning Office at 812-855-4311 or email SLLcheck@indiana.edu.