Responding to Misconduct Charges

Domestic & Sexual Misconduct

For help responding to an incident of sexual assault, harrassment, or relationship violence, click here.

For a complete description of the judicial procedures associated with domestic and sexual misconduct, please see IU’s Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct – Procedures for Responding to Incidents Involving Sexual Violence.

How are charges filed?

Any person (including, but not limited to police, IU officials, residence hall staff, and students) may report alleged violations of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.

How will I find out about these charges?

You will receive a letter outlining the alleged violations and scheduling a date for an initial investigative meeting with the Office of Student Conduct. During this meeting and subsequent meetings, you will hear a detailed explanation of the campus sexual misconduct procedures and have an opportunity to discuss the incident and/or present information and witness names, view your investigation file, and ask questions regarding the case or procedures.

After the university completes an investigation (getting your account of the alleged incident, speaking with witnesses, reviewing any related documentation, etc.), a formal sexual misconduct hearing may be scheduled.

What happens at the conference?

A panel representing the Dean of Students will adjudicate the conference.  This panel is generally made of three staff members specially trained in working with these types of cases. Both you and the alleged victim will have the opportunity to share information regarding the alleged incident, answer questions from the panel and other party, and ask questions of the other party.

Witnesses may be asked to attend a small portion of the conference to share information and answer questions. Following the conference, the panel will deliberate and, most often, share their decision within 10 days.

If you are found responsible for violating the Code, sanctions will be applied.

What if I feel the outcome is inappropriate?

Both you and the alleged victim have the opportunity to appeal the decision by submitting a written appeal to the Office of Student Conduct.  If the Dean of Students determines that the basis for an appeal has been met (see Appendix E.3.b), the Dean will review the appeal and pertinent parts of the judicial conference record.  No new evidence will be considered.