Withdrawing from ALL Classes
Withdrawing from all classes will terminate your current enrollment at Indiana University and may have consequences on your academic progress, financial aid or scholarship eligibility, RPS contract, and other areas related to your student status. For these reasons, all students attending IU Bloomington (except students in University Division, International Students, and Law Students) who wish to withdraw from all classes after the first week of the semester must do so through our office and are strongly encouraged to speak with an advocate before going through this process.
If you wish to drop selected courses, but remain enrolled in some of your courses, do not withdraw from all subjects. Please contact your academic advisor for more information about how to drop specific courses.
Prior to and during the first week of the semester, students can drop classes online using the Register & Drop/Add link on the Student Center (accessible through One.IU). Contact Student Central on Union for assistance with this.
On Campus Withdrawal
After the first week of classes, you should come to our office during normal business hours.
No appointment is required for withdrawals and the process usually takes about 5 – 15 minutes. You will be asked to speak with an advocate because serious academic consequences could accompany a late withdrawal.
Off Campus Withdrawal
If you are away from campus, you may withdraw from all subjects by sending a request via fax to 812-855-2259. Your request must include the follow items:
- The semester/term for which you are withdrawing (i.e. Fall 2014)
- Your name
- Your address
- Your phone number
- Your IU student ID number
- Your signature
- Reason for withdrawal (optional)
Once received, the withdrawal will be processed within 24 hours. An Advocate will reach out to you via phone or email to discuss possible academic consequences and a receipt will be sent to the address provided on your request. Contact us with questions.
- Withdrawal Checklist (SUMMER 2015)
- Withdrawal Checklist
- Residential Programs and Service (RPS) - for cancelling your housing contract and/or appealing contract breakage fees
- Tuition and Fee Appeal Forms – to appeal for tuition refund
- Enrollment Bulletin – to check fee refund schedule and policies for which grades or withdrawal notations will appear on your transcript
- Student Central On Union – Offices of the Registrar and Student Financial Assistance
- Office of the Bursar