Your parent or guardian may be notified about a your involvement in an incident involving alcohol or a controlled substance when both criteria in Part I and at least one of the criteria in Part II apply.
The following criteria must be met before your parent or guardian is notified about your involvement in a violation involving alcohol or a controlled substance.
- The student has been found responsible for violating university alcohol or drug policy.
- The student is under 21 years old at the time of the notification to the parent/guardian.
In addition to both criteria in Part I, at least one of the following criteria must be met before your parent or guardian is notified about a your involvement in a violation involving alcohol or a controlled substance.
- The student received a sanction of probation or stronger through the campus judicial system because of the serious nature of the incident and not because of prior alcohol or drug violations.
- The student had been found responsible for committing a violation of IU’s alcohol or drug policy in the past.
- The incident involved significant property damage.
- Medical attention to any person, including the student, was required as a result of the alcohol- or drug-related behavior.
- The student operated a motor vehicle while intoxicated or under the influence of a drug.
- The student exhibited reckless disregard for personal safety and/or the safety of others while intoxicated or under the influence of a drug.
- Evidence indicates that the student’s alcohol- or drug-related behavior interfered with the academic process of him/herself or other.
Any questions about IU’s Parent/Guardian Notification policy should be directed to staff in the Office of Student Ethics and Anti-Harassment Programs.
Your disciplinary records are confidential and can be released only under certain conditions (including the above) and in compliance with federal law [Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, amended in December, 1994, and October, 1998]. If you have questions, please contact us.