Commission on Multicultural Understanding

Free Speech

Indiana University is committed to the free exchange of ideas. As a member of the IU Bloomington community, you may engage in any of the following free speech activities as long as you do not disrupt the functions of the university and follow all University policies regarding usage of community space.

  • Peaceful and orderly protests
  • Counter-protest
  • Demonstrations
  • Picketing

Please remember that Indiana University does not endorse the message of any particular speaker or group of speakers.

How to Find and Reserve the Right Location

There are numerous locations on campus available to express your views. The following general conditions of use apply to all areas on the University campus and are intended to promote public health, safety, and welfare.

  • Activities may not be conducted in a manner that violates any federal, state or local law.
  • Activities may not pose a threat to the personal safety of community members.
  • Activities may not be conducted in a manner or at a time or place that unreasonably interferes with the educational, research, service, or other legitimate functions of the University.
  • Activities may not be conducted in a manner that violates the rules, regulations, or policies of the Indiana University Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct.
  • Activities may not block egress (i.e. block safe access to exits and entrances, hallways, sidewalks, streets, etc.).

Visit Student Life and Learning to reserve a space and learn rights and responsibilities.

Tips for Interacting with Demonstrators
  • Do not ridicule or provoke demonstrators. They are allowed to express their opinion.
  • If you are approached by a demonstrator and do not want to engage in discussion, keep moving or tell them you are not interested in having a conversation.
  • If you want to stage a counter position, you may do so. Contact Student Life and Learning to reserve a proximate location on campus.
What To Do If Your Rights Are Violated
  • If your personal safety is being violated or threatened, call 911.
  • If you physical access to the campus and its facilities is being blocked, call the IU Police Department at 855-4111.
  • If you feel your right of free speech has been violated, you may request an investigation with the Dean of Students. (Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct, Part I, Section E, page 4, approved by Indiana University Board of Trustees, June 24, 2005)