Support the Division
Herman B Wells Greek Legacy Campaign
Indiana University is poised to be the most progressive fraternity and sorority community in the United States, and we need your help.
As we approach the 2020 Bicentennial Celebration of Indiana University, we are committing our time and resources to achieving former IU President and Chancellor Herman B Wells' vision of an ideal Greek community for today’s fraternity and sorority students.
- Create a purpose driven community by placing organizational values and the mission of Indiana University above traditions.
- Establish high standards and set expectations to motivate members to hold individuals and chapters accountable and to celebrate accomplishments.
- Respect the diversity of our global community and commit ourselves to being an inclusive community.
- Support a culture of care and focus on the health and safety of all.
Our fundraising goal is $3.2 million dollars. Reaching our goal will ensure a thriving Greek community at Indiana University for generations to come.
This campaign will conclude with a celebration of 175 years of Greek Life on the Indiana University - Bloomington campus and the rededication of the Greek Walkway in the Old Crescent.
The Legacy of Herman B Wells
Beloved former president and chancellor of Indiana University, Herman B Wells was a champion for Greek life at IU. He believed that a safe Greek community dedicated to co-curricular learning, community engagement, and cultural diversity was vital to the intellectual and character development of tomorrow's leaders. Dr. Wells believed in an ideal Greek community and throughout his career at Indiana University “remained convinced that the potential of fraternity is achievable and is worthy of our efforts.”
Support Dr. Wells’ Vision
Indiana University has two funds dedicated to the work and legacy of Herman B Wells. The Wells’ funds provide the educational backbone and student support services necessary to realize an ideal Greek community for over 8,000 members.
Please show your support for Dr. Wells’ vision by giving today.
Herman B Wells Greek Education Fund
The Herman B Wells Greek Education Fund provides leadership opportunities to today’s Greek members, chapters, and the governing councils.
Programs and experiences supported by the Greek Education Fund include:
- Greek Leadership Academy for Chapter Presidents and Council Leaders
- Indiana Greek Emerging leaders (IGEL)—Aligning Community Issues with Chapter Values
- Leadership Training and Diversity Education Grants
- Fraternity/Sorority 101—New Member Education to build values based fraternity/sorority community and combat serious societal issues
- Step UP IU—By-Stander Intervention Program
- Ritual Appreciation
- Cross-Council Collaboration Events
- Greek Awards Celebration
Herman B Wells Greek Mentoring Endowment Fund
The Herman B Wells Greek Mentoring Endowment Fund provides staffing support for advising fraternity and sorority students, councils, and chapters.
If you have questions about either Wells' fund or how you can support Dr. Wells’ vision, please contact:
Assistant Dean of Students and
Director, Student Life and Learning
David A. Spencer
Director of Development
Office of the Dean of Students
Division of Student Affairs